The "X-Pro 2 Diary" series is a rolling review of the Fuji X-Pro 2. As I test and use the camera, I'll continue to post my thoughts and findings, and then when I'm finished I'll collate it all into a proper full review. It's lie a behind the scenes look at the process of reviewing the X-Pro 2. Here you can find all the X-Por 2 Diary posts.
Fuji Rumors has been detailing what they believe to be a major firmware update coming to the X-Pro2, possibly as soon as this week. The big feature slated to be announced is that Fuji will bring 4K video to the camera. I really hope this turns out to be true, and I will be delighted if it is the case. I do have a few other things that I would like to see along with the release too, so here is my relatively modest wish list.
I’ve recently been using some non Fuji lenses with my X-Pro 2 and the other day, I was trying out my old Nikon Macro lens with the camera. Despite being a macro, I had mostly been using it as a short telephoto, with its 105mm focal length being useful, especially as the 1.5X crop adds to the throw. However, over the weekend I got to use it as it was intended, for some macro work, and the results were pretty great.
As an experiment, and part of an ongoing project, I decided to launch Aperture the other day. It was the first time I have used the application in a long time, and It was an interesting experience. Because it has been so long, and I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. The reasons that I wanted to try it out, was that I wanted to see how files from X-Transformer were working in various different applications other than Lightroom. The result was both eye opening and depressing at the same time.
With all the fuss recently about the Sony A9 and its electronic shutter, I thought I would try out the one on my X-Pro 2. I had dabbled with it before, but I always thought it was a bit of an odd experience, so I didn’t really do much with it. I had also read various reports of it introducing rolling shutter effects, so I hadn’t payed it much attention. However, I was out doing some street photography the other day, and so I thought that I might as well give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised.
While I’ve talked about Affinity photo before at various times, and I’ve briefly covered the application for processing Fuji Raw files, I realised that I haven’t really looked at it in depth. In fact, a reader recently emailed me about it, and it was only then that I realised that I hadn’t explored the application’s RAW processing in detail.
In this video I take a look at using X-Transformer and Lightroom for Processing Fuji X-Trans files from an X-Pro 2. I walk through the process from the start to finish, and I demonstrate some of the techniques that I have in my eBook guide on using X-Transformer.
Welcome to the first of a new series on the blog. This will be similar to my Street Photo Diary series, only for travel. I’m going to be travelling a good bit over the next little while, and so I thought I would keep a running diary of sorts of my photographic adventures along he way. At the moment I’m in the German city of Darmstadt, which is just outside of Frankfurt.
In this video, which is a follow on from my street photography vlog video, I discuss editing the shoot. I take you through the whole process from import, through rating and then processing the images to final output. I try to discuss why I like certain images, and why some things work and others don’t.
For a while now there’s been something that I’ve been meaning to try in Capture One that I’ve never gotten around to, and that is to find some colour profiles for Fuji cameras. Unlike Lightroom, Capture One doesn’t include colour profiles for the Fuji film simulation modes. However, it does have a comprehensive colour matching engine, and many people have posted their own matching profiles.
When Capture One 10 was announced just before Christmas, I was very excited by the initial results that I saw with X-Pro 2 files, but I’ve realised now that my enthusiasm may have been over-rated. Since that time, I’ve been trying to lock down some base settings to use as the basis for some recommendations for my guide and to be honest I’ve had difficulty coming up with results that work for everything. It’s been a process of discovery, and I've learned some interesting things along the way. I’ve come up with some experimental settings, and I wanted to put them out there for people to try.