Video: How to Fix a Burnt out Sky in Capture One
In this video I look at how to fix a burnt out sky, that you can’t recover with the highlights recovery or by adjusting exposure, in Capture One. Sometimes if your image is slightly overexposed, or if you’re photographing a high contrast scene you may come across a situation where the highlights are clipped and you can’t recover them. There is still a fairly easy way to fix the problem though, and in this video I show you how.
This technique uses the Luminance masking feature of Capture One Pro 12 to select just the brightest areas of the scene and the colour balance tool to colour correct it to a shade that matches what the sky should look like. This also works for other situations with unrecoverable clipped highlights too. It doesn’t ave to be just skies, although obviously you would use a different colour for the correction layer.
Help Support the Blog
This blog is pretty much my day job now and I work to bring you my own take on photography, both tutorials and tips, as well as inspiration from my own art. I support this work, and my YouTube channel entirely either via sales of my eBooks and Lightroom presets, or the kind support of my readers. (I also have some affiliate ads). Running all this isn’t cheap, and so If you like what you see and you want to help keep this all going, there are a number of ways you can do so:
- If you’re interested in buying Capture One but haven’t yet bought your own copy yet, then by going through my affiliate link I’ll get a small commission!
- You can buy any of my Capture One Styles through my online store!
- If you’re buying anything on Amazon, you can help by using my affiliate link: Amazon US or Amazon UK.
- You can support me on Patreon. If you like what I do here and find the information useful, then you can help by subscribing to me on Patreon. As well as helping keep this blog going with even more useful news, tips, tutorials and more, members also get special Patreon only feed, which gives you behind the scenes content, as well as monthly downloads (for the top tier), for only €2 or €5 a month Stop by and check it out.
- Buy me a coffee / Tip Jar. If you want to support the blog but don't want to sign up for Patreon, you can buy me a coffee via PayPal with a one off donation to my PayPal tip jar.
You can see more of my photography and keep up to date by following me on social media and checking out my other websites: