Capture One Quick Tip - Automatically Set the Film Simulation that you Shot With.
I was so excited when Capture One added Fuji film simulation support that I missed one of the handiest feature of the new version. One of the commenters on my YouTube channel pointed this following tip out, so big thanks to them for that! You can have Capture One detect which film simulation mode you shot with in-camera, and it will automatically apply the appropriate film simulation mode. Unfortunately, it doesn’t explicitly tell you which one you used, but it still works. Here’s what to do.
It’s actually really simple. All you have to do is go to the Base Characteristics tab and set the Film Response Curve to “Auto”. This will then use whatever Film Simulation mode that you had set on your camera when you shot the photo. The only real downside to this is that the “Curve” pop-up menu still only displays “Auto” as the curve, but it does still set the right mode. This works on both the full Pro version of Capture One and the Express version. You can of course still set the Film simulation mode manually. If you want to set this as the default behaviour (it may be already if you are on a clean install) and you have Capture One pro then set this new mode as defaults.
For more on setting the film simulation modes in Capture One 12, here’s my video on how to do it. (I had missed this method of automatically setting it at the time).
Help Support the Blog
This blog is pretty much my day job now and I work to bring you my own take on photography, both tutorials and tips, as well as inspiration from my own art. I support this work, and my YouTube channel entirely either via sales of my eBooks and Lightroom presets, or the kind support of my readers. (I also have some affiliate ads). Running all this isn’t cheap, and so If you like what you see and you want to help keep this all going, there are a number of ways you can do so:
- If you’re interested in buying Capture One but haven’t yet bought your own copy yet, then by going through my affiliate link I’ll get a small commission!
- You can buy any of my Capture One Styles through my online store!
- If you’re buying anything on Amazon, you can help by using my affiliate link: Amazon US or Amazon UK.
- You can support me on Patreon. If you like what I do here and find the information useful, then you can help by subscribing to me on Patreon. As well as helping keep this blog going with even more useful news, tips, tutorials and more, members also get special Patreon only feed, which gives you behind the scenes content, as well as monthly downloads (for the top tier), for only €2 or €5 a month Stop by and check it out.
- Buy me a coffee / Tip Jar. If you want to support the blog but don't want to sign up for Patreon, you can buy me a coffee via PayPal with a one off donation to my PayPal tip jar.
You can see more of my photography and keep up to date by following me on social media and checking out my other websites: