PhotoBulk 2 Released
A while ago I wrote about a handy little utility that I use now and again for blogging called Photobulk. It’s a little application that allows you to quickly batch process images in order to resize and add watermarks. It’s useful if you’re blogging photographs that you’ve created in applications such as Apple Photos that doesn’t create watermarks. A new version has just been released which adds some new features and a new interface.
The most obvious change is the new interface. The old version was more like a utility, but the new one is a full sized application, with a nice dark interface. As you add options they appear in panels beside the main preview pane. It’s a much nicer and more visual interface, and it makes it easier to see what you’re doing when setting up a watermark. Which brings us to the other big new feature…
You can now set up watermarks containing multiple elements. Previously, you could only have either a single text or graphic watermark, but you can now add multiple text and graphic elements. Text can be any plain text string, or there is also an option to add a date stamp, which will take the date from the images metadata.
Another new feature is the ability to strip metadata form an image, which is really useful. Metadata options are broken into three sections, each of which you can either keep or strip out. These are: GPS, Camera Information, and Copyright and Contact information.
Other features of the application include the ability to rename batches, including adding sequence numbers, the ability to optimise the compression and also the ability to change format of image files. You can also set up presets of all the options.
Overall its a nice upgrade. I have one issue with it though. The size of the watermarks, is based on a fixed pixel amount, rather than a percentage. This means that they stay fixed when you change the size of the image. This can be a bit of a pain if you set up a nice series of separate watermark elements, and then change your output size. The watermark elements will all have to be subsequently resized, and because you can’t edit them in a group, you’ll have to resize them individually. It’s not a huge deal, but it is an annoyance. My recommendation, is that if you’re resizing, set that up before you set up your watermark.
The updated version is available now from the company’s website, and the Mac App Store. There’s a trial version available, and I’ve noticed that they’ve also added it to the SetApp subscription service (which is a great service, but the way - and no - no one asked me to say that! I just really like some of the apps available on it - and they keep adding stuff too)
Help Support the Blog
I’m now on Patreon. If you like what I do here and find the information useful, then you can help by supporting me on Patreon. As well as helping keep this blog going with even more useful news, tips, tutorials and more, members also get special Patreon only perks. Stop by and check it out.
If you like this post then you can see more of my work on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. I also have a YouTube channel that you might like. You should also check out my other Photography Project: The Streets of Dublin. If you want to get regular updates, and notices of occasional special offers, and discounts from my store, then please sign up for the Newsletter.
You can also show support by buying something from my from my Digital Download Store where I have Lightroom Presets, and e-books available for download. If you're a Fuji X-Trans shooter and Lightroom user, check out my guide to post processing X-Trans files in Lightroom. I also have a guides for processing X-Trans files in Capture One and Iridient Developer. For Sony Alpha shooters I have a new guide with tips on how to get the best from processing your A6000 Images in Lightroom.